Pennsylvania Department of State Takes Action Against Charitable Organizations
HARRISBURG, Pa., June 23, 2017 /360WiseNews/ — The Pennsylvania Department of State recently ordered nine charitable organizations to cease fundraising until they are in compliance with the commonwealth’s law governing charities, Secretary of State Pedro A. Cortés announced today.
In May, cease-and-desist orders were issued to the following organizations:
- American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Foundation, Inc., 100 SW 75th Street, Suite 201, Gainesville, FL 32607
- Business and Professional Women’s Foundation, 1718 M Street NW, Suite 148, Washington, DC 20036
- Council for a Strong America, 1212 New York Avenue, NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20005
- Diamond Fire Company of Walnutport, 120 Main Street, Walnutport, PA 18088
- Morality in the Media, 1100 G Street NW, Washington, DC 20005
- Parent Infant Center, 4205 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
- Partnership for Civil Justice Fund, 617 Florida Avenue NW, Washington DC 20001
- Political Research Associates, 1310 Broadway, Suite 201, Somerville, MA 02144
- The Crossings Animal Society, Inc., 1083 Taylorsville Road, Suite 3, Washington Crossing, PA 18977
Secretary Cortés noted that those organizations may not solicit donations or conduct fundraising activities until they have come into compliance with the Solicitation of Funds for Charitable Purposes Act.
The Bureau of Corporations and Charitable Organizations maintains a comprehensive list of charitable organizations, professional solicitors and professional fundraising counsel that have been subject to sanctions or corrective measures. This list contains the most up-to-date information on any specific disciplinary action.
Each entry includes the name of the charitable organization, professional solicitor or professional fundraising counsel, address, sanction imposed, a description of the basis for the disciplinary or corrective measure and the effective date.
Anyone who suspects unethical activity by a charitable organization can file a complaint either online or by calling (717) 787-0700.
The Bureau oversees the registration of more than 12,000 charitable organizations, professional solicitors and professional fundraising counsel. A list of registration exclusions and exemptions for charitable organizations can be found on the Department’s website.
Violations of the Solicitation of Funds for Charitable Purposes Act may result in disciplinary actions including civil penalties and the suspension or revocation of a registration.
MEDIA CONTACT: Wanda Murren, (717) 783-1621