The August Complex Fire currently burning in Northern California is the largest fire in the state since record-keeping began, according to data from CAL FIRE. Several other fires that started in August have also climbed the list of the largest in recent history, including the SCU and LNU Lightning Complex fires and the North Complex Fire.
Here are the 10 largest fires in California history with figures accurate as of Monday, Sept. 14.
1. AUGUST COMPLEX FIRE (Tehama County), August 2020
Acres burned: 846,812
Structures destroyed: 26
2. MENDOCINO COMPLEX FIRE (Colusa County, Lake County, Glenn County, Mendocino counties), July 2018
Acres burned: 459,123
Structures destroyed: 280
3. SCU LIGHTNING COMPLEX FIRE (Stanislaus, Santa Clara, Alameda, Contra Costa, San Joaquin counties), August 2020
Acres burned: 396,624
Structures destroyed: 224
4. LNU LIGHTNING COMPLEX FIRE (Sonoma, Lake, Napa, Yolo & Solano counties), August 2020
Acres burned: 363,220
Structures destroyed: 1,491
5. THOMAS FIRE (Ventura, Santa Barbara counties), …